Search site

Corporate Complaints

Coronavirus: We are following government advice.  Updates about any impact on our services will be added here as soon as possible:


Waste & recycling (including glass) collections - please email our Customer Services team or call them on 023 8028 5000

Roads, potholes, pavements, drainage problems & street lighting - these are the responsibility of Hampshire County Council - call 0845 6035633 or visit the Highway Web pages where you can submit your complaint on line.

Flooding - the website will tell you how to report flooding from water mains, public drains, sewers or rivers.

Why Complain - will it make a difference?

We are always looking for ways of improving the quality of our services. Your comments help us to do this. We also want to know when something has gone wrong with a service so we can put it right.

What is a Complaint?

A complaint is defined as "an expression of dissatisfaction about the conduct, standard of service, actions or lack of action by the New Forest District Council or its staff".

Sometimes the issue is a request for a service rather than a complaint. This can include missed refuse collection, pest control requests or problems with neighbours. There are also services that are not carried out by the District Council such as the maintenance of roads, paths and street lighting. Please see the link "Request For Service and Other Agencies" for more details on who to contact.

What should I do if I have a complaint against the Council?

Get in touch as soon as you can. Your first step should be to speak to the manager of the service involved and explain what the problem is. If you do not know who the manager is, all employees will do their best to put you in touch with the right person. Managers will do all they can to resolve problems straight away. If this is not possible they will let you know. We aim to send a reply within 15 working days unless you are otherwise informed.

To view the Council's Complaints Procedure please click on this link: docs icon Complaints Procedure [545kb]

Do I have to complain in writing?

No, you can use a variety of methods. You can call into any Council building such as our information offices, health and leisure centres or visitor information centres where you can either verbally leave your complaint or collect one of the Council's complaints forms. You can find the addresses of all the Council's buildings on the link below. You can call the Complaints office on 023 8028 5588, email complaints, or fill in the Online Complaint Form now..

You may also ask someone to act on your behalf. This could be a friend or family, an agent, solicitor or even your local Councillor or MP.

What if I am not satisfied with the outcome?

Contact the Executive Head of the Service. Your complaint will be thoroughly investigated and the result will be sent to you within 15 working days. If you are not sure who this is, contact the Council's Complaints Officer for assistance.

What if my complaint is still not resolved?

In most cases your complaint will be resolved to your satisfaction promptly and courteously by the Manager or the Executive Head of the Service. If it is not, write to the Executive Head of Governance & Housing, at Appletree Court, Lyndhurst, who will look into your complaint on behalf of the Chief Executive.

Still not satisfied? - Contact an Ombudsman

If you remain dissatisfied after you have gone through the Council's complaints procedure:

For matters other than Council Housing:

Contact the Local Government Ombudsman who acts as a watchdog for local government issues.

For Council Housing matters:

If you are a Council tenant and your complaint is against the Council as your landlord, you have the right to ask for your complaint to be considered by the Housing Ombudsman Service.

However, if you wish to refer your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman Service straight away you will need to contact a "designated person"who may refer the matter on your behalf. In relation to New Forest District Council housing complaints, a "designated person" is a Member of Parliament or any New Forest District Councillor

If you do not want your complaint to be considered by a designated person, you may contact the Housing Ombudsman Service yourself, but you may only do this after 8 weeks have elapsed following receipt of the level three review letter in accordance with the Council's Complaints Procedure.

Updated: 7 Apr 2020
Powered by GOSS iCM